Sleigh Bed In Figured Walnut
( click any image for bigger view)
Typically when developing a furniture piece, some lodging is made to producing procedures, tooling, and performance. Such lodging is provided for enhancing building and success. Being the not practical artisan that I am, I took the opposite method with this sleigh bed. All procedures were made to serve the style, leading to among the most difficult pieces I have actually made.
I will not start to go through all the phases and strategies I went through to develop this piece. Structure it was tiring enough. I have, nevertheless, consisted of a few of the images I took while making the posts.
Because each post needed to be band sawn out on 3 sides, I made complete size patterns for the front and profile of both the headboard and footboard posts.
Next, I rough formed the large side of each post on the band saw.
I shaped and smoothed each post with hand tools and random orbit sanders.
I routed a 1/16 ″ large groove for sting inlay in each post. Since the surface area was undulating and not flat, routing and setting up the inlay was an obstacle and needed severe care to accomplish without making any errors.
Setting up the inlay around the gooseneck shape at the top of each post, needed that I soak the inlay product in boiling water for a number of hours to make it versatile sufficient to comply with the circle. The inlay is wenge wood which is really fragile.
After setting up the inlay, I sawed the front and back sides of each post to last shape and tidy them up with hand tools.
These are the bracket feet I developed and made to sit under each post.
As tough as the posts were to make, they were absolutely nothing compared to producing the S-curved veneered panels in the head and footboards and after that surrounding these panels with beaded moldings and strong wood frames. I will conserve you the misery, dear reader, and simply let you delight in the images.
The side rails are frame & panel building and strictly set up to the head and footboards with cast iron tough hardware readily available from( & *) Van Dykes Restorers(* ). This is a queen size bed and it took me about 10 weeks to finish. It ended up quite near to best. I do not believe I would do another one for less than$ 18,000 simply in case anybody would like to know.(* )To see more of my work, please visit my site. Like this: